My ride to school
Good Mooooooorning Vietnam! *
Just wanted to update you guys on what's been happenin in the Windy City. It's Windy! Thanks for reading this update, until next time!
Ok, so I'd be lying if that was the most interesting thing that had happened since our last update. Holly has finally started school and had a very good ensemble audition. She'll be playing in the Symphonic Wind Ensemble (which they apparently pronounce "Sweeee!") this quarter and she's really enjoying working with the conductor, Mallory Thompson. She and I are both feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of work that we already have, not so much in our classes (as we don't really have any academic classes this quarter), but just with ensemble and lesson preparation. But, this is exactly what we came here for and we're looking forward to getting our butts kicked for the next two years!
I've had two rehearsals so far for the Beethoven Octet on the first Wind Ensemble concert in a week and a half... and the conductor has already emailed both of the horn teachers asking them to help the horns before the next rehearsal. I have to admit that I am a little embarrassed with the situation, but I've finally decided that it's good that the conductor holds us to such a high standard after two rehearsals, and it will be good for me to try to meet that standard every time. After all, that's what being a professional musician is all about, right? So I've turned my embarrassment in to determination. The determination to prove that I will not be embarrassed again! That being said, I'm spending a lot of time not just practicing my ensemble parts, but trying to perfect them. But, then I have a lot less chops to practice my lesson assignments. It's a delicate balance, I'm finding.
My practice room at DePaul
I'm still working on finding a job, but I'm hoping to be able to get one soon as companies are starting to hire extra workers for the upcoming holiday season. As for any exciting things we've done outside of practicing, we got to babysit two of my nieces, Sophie and Sasha, for an entire day which was a lot of fun! That was pretty much the most social interaction we've had with other people in weeks. Maybe we should get some friends!
*Good Morning not applicable in Vietnam
No comments:
Post a Comment