Friday, August 1, 2008

Chi-town At Last


Well, I have to admit that it is a little strange writing this blog, knowing that I'm writing in the comfort of my new "home." Unfortunately, comfortable doesn't quite describe the situation I'm in. This whole summer I daydreamed about living in Chicago and going up to school here. It never really occurred to me, however, that this wasn't just another weekend retreat. Even when my car was packed to the MAX, so that I might as well have just removed my rear view mirror all together, I still didn't make the connection that I wasn't coming back to Greensboro. It was a scary realization for me. I have over a month until classes start, so I can't say I'll be making any new friends soon. I suppose I'll spend this time getting used to driving in the big city.

The view from my rear view mirror

I learned a valuable lesson this morning: I am a wuss in an automobile. Maybe it was the fact that I had know idea if any one was driving behind me, maybe it was because I learned how to drive in Culpeper, VA, or maybe it's because people in Chicago just drive like they are freaking crazy. One thing is for sure though, you are apparently supposed to start moving the second the traffic light turns green, no matter what.

We have an apartment now! It's a moderately sized studio, but it is built in such a way that it almost feels like it's more than one room. It's the thought that counts, right? We are living in the neighborhood of Edgewater, which is on the north side and it is apparently a suburb of Florida. Seriously, there are so many elderly people living on our new block, it's like Bingo night at the local fire station. There are actually signs at the crosswalks that read "Senior Citizens Crossing". I'll post pictures later.

The master bedroom/living room/office/lounge

Well, that's about all of the news for now. We're going to Ikea in the morning and hope to have some real furniture soon! Think of what a luxury chairs are! We'll be like the King and Queen of the Castle. Very Nice!

-Phil

No comments: